Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Journey of Abouts: Day 1

So, my friend Jessica is doing this on her blog this month, so I thought I would do it on mine as well, as a way to really get my blog started. Basically, I'm going to write every day about one thing. Here's the list:

Day 1: A favorite song.
Day 2: A favorite movie.

Day 3: A favorite book.

Day 4: A favorite television program.

Day 5: A favorite quote.

Day 6: A moment you wish you could relive.

Day 7: Five things you couldn't possibly live without.

Day 8: A thank you letter to someone who has changed your life.

Day 9: A photo you took.

Day 10: A photo of you taken over ten years ago.

Day 11: A photo of you taken recently.

Day 12: A song that you want played at your wedding.

Day 13: A pastime favorite.

Day 14: A vacation you would like to take.

Day 15: A person you admire.

Day 16: A song that makes you cry.

Day 17: An art piece.

Day 18: A time when you felt passionate and alive.

Day 19: A talent of yours.

Day 20: A hobby of yours.

Day 21: Something you know you do differently than most people.

Day 22: A website.

Day 23: A way in which you want to be remembered.

Day 24: A movie no one would expect you to love.

Day 25: A recipe.

Day 26: A childhood memory.

Day 27: A physical feature you love.

Day 28: Hopes, Dreams and plans you have for the next 365 days
Just to let you know, this doesn't mean I'm going to stop posting poetry. Far from it. This is just a way to get me writing more regularly. Okay, ready? Here goes.

Day 1: A favorite song

Um, just one? Okay. Fine. It's pretty much impossible to choose my all-time favorite song, but here's one I really love: Miracles out of Nowhere by Kansas. Kansas has been one of my favorite bands since I was about 12, and this song is, in my opinion, one of their best.

The best part of the song starts at about 2:20 on the video below. This instrumental interlude has always captivated me, and exemplifies why I love this band. It's incredibly creative and completely different from anything else you'll ever hear in popular music nowadays. For one, it uses counterpoint. For another, it's in 7/4 time. It's a joy to listen to. I can't think of any other band that incorporates such complex musical ideas and pulls it off so brilliantly.

The reason I chose this song is that it's the perfect example of what I aspire to create as an artist (writer, musician, etc.). Not something that just sounds like what everyone else is listening to; something different. Something genuinely great. I may never write something half this creative, but listening to good music never ceases to inspire me.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this yesterday and I meant to reply!! Love it. :) You have great taste my friend. Love you a lot. And I'm looking forward to all your posts coming up..

    ReplyDelete