Thursday, June 9, 2011

$3 a face

I've decided that I'd like a lot more of my poetry available to be read here on my blog, so I'm going to be going through some of my older stuff and posting it periodically. Here's one I wrote about two years ago.

$3 a face

I saw a man
On the streets of San Francisco
With an easel
And a table
And a sign that said: “Portraits: $3 a face”

He sat,
Ready, for three whole dollars,
To poorly recreate, in marks of colored dirt
Any one of a hundred thousand perfect little masterpieces
That God sculpted for
Absolutely
Nothing.

Perhaps,
Like some sort of psychic,
He could read the lines on your face
As a palm reader reads those
On your hand,
And silently explain, with brushes on paper
The truth about yourself
That you knew all along
And didn’t want to admit.

Perhaps, I thought
Those $3 are not for the portrait itself
But for his insight;
You could know, just from those hasty brushstrokes
Whether you were truly happy
Or sad
Or hated
Or loved.

I paused, hands in pockets
In front of him,
Surveying the fluttering faces hung before me,
Sketches of souls on display for all to see;
Some beautiful,
Some not.

His strange, dark eyes found mine;
I smiled, fingering my wallet
And turned,
And walked away.
--


I'd love to hear what you think of this poem. When I first wrote it, my church choir director asked if I would read it for the choir and use it as a springboard for a small devotional. The funny thing is, he had interpreted it to mean the exact opposite of what I'd intended. Which brings up an interesting question, I suppose: should the poet and the reader agree on the meaning of a poem? Personally, I was pleasantly surprised that someone had seen what I'd written from a different angle. It was good for me to have someone point out that things like this are open to interpretation (and/or maybe I should just learn how to write more clearly). Reading it now, this seems a significantly less awesome poem that I'd originally thought...

Anyway, I still read the poem for the choir, albeit so nervously that I was asked to read it twice. I think they liked it. And it worked well for the devotional. So, happy ending. The end.

3 comments:

  1. Emily,

    Perhaps we go back to this age's very old dilemma when Coleridge stood at the waterfall with a tourists who observed that the waterfall was "sublime" while Coleridge was just about to christen it "majestic." There are some who have taken this interesting situation and gathered that meaning can only be found in our individual interpretations. That is, meaning is subjective.

    I cannot make myself believe this no matter how hard I try. If I were to agree to this, I then accept that man is the highest authority in this universe because, so far, no other creature has come forward to offer their interpretation.

    What I can believe is that there is a great truth you are trying to get at in your poem; usually a truth I have never realized before. When I read it and promptly poor out excitedly, "What an incredible poem about objectivity!" and you say, "What?! That isn't about objectivity at all! It's about a painter in San Francisco!" well, then, I think we both learned something.

    We learned that great truths are so very hard to get at that it often takes more than one person knocking about on either side to unlock it.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow; well put, Hannah. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes. And I did also forget to comment on what I thought you poem was talking about!

    I instantly saw a discussion about image. I felt that you were exploring the idea of image, where it comes from, and how it transferred.

    The second stanza, "That God sculpted for absolutely nothing" really astounded me. Here a someone expending all their effort and ultimately failing to match the creativity of One who expended nothing (or nothing that we could grasp) to create us!

    You know what else is amazing? Poetry. I just spend two ridiculously long comments talking about something that is really short but so deep that even after 300 words, I still fail to grasp it all.

    Kind of like the painter....

    LOL! Hope you enjoy:)

    ReplyDelete